Thursday, March 4, 2010

Watermelon Cordial

The end of Summer came and went but it's still bloody hot so I thought I'd chuck this on here while I had the chance. What do you do when you've got a nice big quarter of a watermelon, but you've not had a chance to eat much of it in the week that you bought it and it's starting to get that funny sour taste and slimy texture from being in the fridge too long? Make watermelon cordial!

Blend the watermelon flesh (it's going to vary but effectively the amount I had filled the normal sized blender to the top) with the juice of half a lemon or orange or whatever you have and a sugar syrup made from 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup boiling water. Strain through a sieve and dispose of solids. Mix the liquid with lemonade or soda water according to taste. Very refreshing! Inevitably you can mix this very well with vodka. If I did that I'd be passed out for the rest of my life, so I won't. It'll still taste good for about 3 days. It's a fruit life extender! I suspect this would do just as well with any melon. 

1 comment:

  1. hi you mentioned the watermelon cordial can last for 3 days. Is it in refrigeration or room temperature?

    Thanks.

    Chin

    ReplyDelete

 

yasmin lawsuit